17 October 2005

country croonin' part 2/i'm on a mission

mia told me to send let her know next time i'm going through atlanta withdrawal. as one of my most direct, shoot from the hip, pull no punches, tell it like it is friends, dr. mia was sure to put me straight. i sent her an email last week as i was going through some cravings and she replied just like i thought she would. and i know she's accurate. it's time for me to get grounded (even if only temporarily) somewhere. seattle might as well be the place while i'm saving money to make more moves.

but then last week's post about fresh, sol fusion's dopealicious 80s party really inspired me to return to shake my moneymaker atl style. but i could hold my peace by staying in seattle and focusing on my good times here. then i got invited to a sneak, surprise party of one of my beloved's in atl and while i'm tempted to go, the funds wouldn't justify the journey. and then this jammin' on the one experience at spelman. moyabeansbailey had to let me know what's really up. and i'm scramblin' to see how i can get there, renegotiate work, see my friends, fam and mentors, paint the town, give&get some love...

this is revolutionary for spelman. it's a blend of mass commercial outreach (which is not so revolutionary for spelman) and expansive feminism. and my baby (SisterFire!) is part of the mix. geezelouize. i'm grinnin' and skinnin' over here. oh, how badly i want to go.

this is what i really want to do:

1) go to atlanta on thursday october 27th, just for sol-fusion's party. that would make my entire month/fall quarter/year probably.

2) return the next week for monday - thursday of hip hop week.


this would be my dream come true on the realness. i salivate at the thought.

see...now i understand one of the major, major benefits of working retail. my work schedule was 7 days a week, so i could rearrange my days as necessary when i wanted to take a trip like this. now that my work schedule is only five days a week, things get a little trickier. but i can figure it out. the only thing is, i don't want to spend $300+ bones on an airline ticket, not to mention going twice. hey...maybe i can talk to my peeps in the department as they're co-sponsoring and all...maybe they can assist an alum of the department and birthmother of sisterfire to be a part of the party...hey, i know it's a long stretch, but they be stretching for me sometime...

i'll let you know how it all works out...i'm on a mission now. and you know how it be when a taurus gets on a mission. some say stubborn, i prefer focused, diligent, determined.

enjoy this beautiful day.

love,

me

p.s. yes, i do have a history of flying from seattle to atlanta just for a party. in 1999, when i took a year off of school, i went back to atl for a few days to attend funkjazz kafe (the most incredible, faboulous, out of this world party at the time) and an ani difranco concert. yep. it was live and direct for atl. it was worth it too. just like i'm sure this adventure will be...

p.s.s. and this just makes it all that much better/worse...


2 Comments:

At 17 October, 2005 13:31, Blogger teresa said...

(to invoke the essence of Bill&Ted's Excellent Adventures) that would be most excellent! i hope you make it and (to invoke a pigmented Michael Jackson) enjoy yourself for me! love.

-bzzzz

 
At 17 October, 2005 15:35, Blogger summer of sam said...

mc lyte?

i abhor academic conferences, but i'd drop everything and go to this.

i'm jealous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home