04 August 2005

i crashed a memorial service today and all i got was this brilliant creed...

the victorious living creed by Arthur Fletcher

i believe my living will not be in vain because i am convinced that there is a Most High Spirit* and i trust in it's love, justice and mercy.

i believe my living will not be in vain becuase i am convinced i am made in Spirit's image and that it's power dwells in me.

i believe my living will not be in vain becuase i am convinced Spirit put me here to be it's servant and that i am to be an instrument of it's will durning my sojourn on earth.

i believe my living will not be in vain becuase i am convinced Spirit provided me with one or more gifts and talents, and that with my own efforts and it's help, plus the aid of education and training, i can develop my gifts and talents into skills, technical or professional abilities and be rendered able to do some of the world's work.

i believe my living will not be in vain becuase i am convinced that if i try Spirit will find me ways to use my skills, technical or professional ability in service of it's cause.

i believe my living will not be in vain becuase i am convinced that in serving Spirit's cause, i will be able to sustain my own life and be of benefit to humanity in the process.

i believe my living will not be in vain becuase i am convinced that in serving Spirit's cause and sustaining my own life and being of benefit to humanity, my deeds, private and public, will become the building blocks out of which a victorious life is built.

i believe my living will not be in vain becuase i am convinced that by following this creed my life's work will be dedicated to Spirit, and my lifestyle will become a light, a guide and example that my family, friends, acquaintances, associates and others might use in fulfilling their destiny during their sojourn on earth.

*yes. i edited this.

and yes, i crashed arthur fletcher's memorial service. at the time i didn't know who he was, i just knew all of seattle's big activists and progressive politicians were on their way to the sanctuary and i decided to join them just to see what was up. being "the father of affirmative action" is no small measure i say. it was such an incredible gift and opportunity to sit in with the peoples as they recounted his dynamic life. and while colored folks can be a little long winded, i was inspired and motivated as only a temporarily derailed activist and career sojourner could be.

this creed is no joke. it is truly a blueprint for life. it is what i needed to remind me of what's really important and how to get where i want to go.

smiles and gratitude,

l'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home