13 January 2006

my love of lucie

I Am Running into a New Year
i am running into a new year
and the old years blow back
like a wind
that i catch in my hair
like strong fingers like
all my old promises and
it will be hard to let go
of what i said to myself
about myself
when i was sixteen and
twentysix and thirtysix
even thirtysix but
i am running into a new year
and i beg what i love and
i leave to forgive me


the lesson of falling leaves
the leaves believe
such letting go is love
such love is faith
such faith is grace
such grace is god
i agree with the leaves

poem in praise of menstruation
if there is a river
more beautiful than this
bright as the blood
red edge of the moon if
there is a river
more faithful than this
returning each month
to the same delta if there

is a river
braver than this
coming and coming in a surge
of passion, of pain if there is

a river
more ancient than this
daughter of eve
mother of cain and of abel if there is in

the universe such a river if
there is some where water
more powerful than this wild
water

pray that it flows also
through animals
beautiful and faithful and ancient
and female and brave


-mme. lucille clifton

3 Comments:

At 14 January, 2006 09:34, Blogger Alison said...

im glad she can write so lovingly and tenderly about menstruation. If i wrote a poem about menstruation- you'd have thought i was writing about satan.

 
At 15 January, 2006 18:56, Blogger summer of sam said...

i digs the second one mucho.

reminds me of the fall of freddie the leaf--one of my most favoritest books ever.

(if you've read that book, i will say yes to the yurt.)

 
At 16 January, 2006 10:55, Blogger jb said...

You know I gets down with Lucille. God bless her. She makes sense out of living and that gives me peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home