16 January 2006

petrified

there is a vast heaviness there. something seductive and slick lurking quietly beneath the waters. "didn't they tell you that splashing would bring it closer? wasn't that the fair warning?" i couldn't hear past the frantic walls of water that my violently flailing arms created. i kicked the nothingness beneath me, praying to go unnoticed, holding my breath with hope that it would finally dissolve beneath the waves.

(it is too hot here and these burning limbs cannot hold me. the water does not wash me dry. instead i scream silently into paper bags tied tight with expectation.)

i do not remember the rest of the warning. don't splash, they said. your movement will only invite what you don't want. but how do i escape unscathed? how do i transcend this place?

you must play dead, she said. you must face your greatest fear with stillness. you must lay face down in the unknown. completely surrender yourself to it. that is the only way you will ever be free.

1 Comments:

At 22 January, 2006 16:02, Blogger Human said...

If words on a screen can leave an imprint of a soul... I think you just did it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home