30 May 2005

true confessions

so yes, i am a self-professed feminist. i am pro-choice, anti-gentrification, and in support of feeding hungry people all over the world. i do not support lindsay lohan's drastic weight loss. i do not think that halle berry should have won an oscar for that damn movie. nonetheless, instead of using my precious time to pack up my apartment as i planned, i took a two-hour ginger bubble bath at my parent's house and waited hours to watch the miss unverse pagent. now my obsession with pagents isn't quite as intense as it was in my younger years when i videotaped, catalogued and compuslively watched miss teen usa, usa, universe and america pageants from 1994-2000, but it is present nonetheless.

i don't know what it is about these damn things. it may have something to do with the cinderalla/american dream complex (the same thing that inspires me to love "pretty woman" and most reality televison competitions)...the idea that someone can be plucked out of obscurity and thrown into a new life of money, fame, prizes and pictures constantly astounds me. the host just called the miss universe pageant, "the superbowl of beauty"...and when i really think about it, i'm just glad that my mother's hard-earned money didn't go to waste on my college degree. thanks to a b.a. in comparative women's studies from spelman college, i can now intellectually analyze this damn competition with a keen, criticial eye looking at how sexism, the marginalization of women and the myth of beauty have created such a distorted model of womanhood. the whole thing now looks so archaic and outdated that it makes me want to vomit. as a matter of fact, i'm going home now, so i can focus on some real work.

laughing (and dancing) with myself,

l.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home