10 August 2005

daughters of the moon, sisters of the sun

in december of 2000, i gave my sister the most incredible book, "daughters of the moon, sisters of the sun" as a christmas gift. yesterday i retrieved it from her bookshelf. it was still in tact, with the bookmark still sitting behind the first page, unopened. the bookmark read, "make the most of yourself. for that is all there is of you." -ralph waldo emerson

inside the front cover, i had inscribed:

"my dearest sister,
please embrace the journey.
fly free
love hard
live from the core of your own sacred truth
believe yourself first
laugh fully
love wisely
choose without fear
be true...
please enjoy this magnificent book as it takes you on a journey through many of your unanswered questions.

i love you.

know that i am always in your corner.

love and peace..."

it's remarkable how this winding journey rides. i delivered her that book about young women and mentors on the transition to womanhood long before SisterFire!, a B.A. in comparative women's studies, feminist theory and therapy, afrekete, michigan women's music festival and the march for women's lives. it was before fierce internships, bahati and beverly, naming the value in autonomous women's spaces--before big mama's roundtable and the revloution that would rock spelman's campus. and while i thought all those markers were the begining of this journey as a whole, radical, feminist, womyn, i realize that i have been building up to this space for most of my life.

oh this life. it is special and funny and a daring adventure. it is this little/gigantic/infinite whirlpool of energy that sustains and nourishes me. i love myself in all of my womynness and i love the feminine, the earth, the moon and water. i love tides and cycles and birth. i love the idea of love...although most who don't know me well will profess that i'm a (high) femme, most of my exes and some of my friends will tell you that i'm really a 17 year-old male football player, and neither perspectives of truth make me any less womyn.

of course as i'm professing my womynhood, if you know anything about me, you know that this has very little (if anything) to do with the stereotypes and boxes that are dished out in the name of feminitity and womanhood. i am not a flag waving something or other, invested in the traditional western idea of what it means to be a woman. nor am i interested in the colonized mind version from anywhere else in the world. i am talking about womynhood in the traditional sense of being ALL that i am, living in all that is...marching to the beat of my own drummer...loving and living freely and fiercely and boldly. being a womyn for me means embracing every last inch of my whole, entire self and cultivatingandcultivating myself to blossom. oh! this beauty that is me and you and her and him...it is (smile).

anywho, this is not at all what i meant to start talking about, but i guess i got a little distracted.

i'll write the rest later.

loving myself and the mighty I AM.

l' boogie down brown suga, i get high off your love don't know how to behave...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home